Philip VickersPartner, Fort Worth
Philip Vickers is Vice-Chair of the firm’s Litigation Section. He represents clients in a variety of business disputes, including those involving commercial contracts, intellectual property, oil & gas, insurance coverage, shareholder disputes, construction, and business torts. Philip also actively promotes pro bono programs both within the firm and in the Fort Worth legal community. Before joining Cantey Hanger, Philip served as law clerk to the Honorable Michael H. Schneider, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Texas.
Principal Practice Areas
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 2005)
Texas Review of Law & Politics (Editor-in-Chief)
- Hillsdale College (B.S., 2002)
- Representation of global travel technology provider in suit against European airline for breach of contract.
- Representation of Fortune 50 company and subsidiary in defense of putative class action brought under ERISA.
- Representation of owners of Barnett Shale mineral interests in claims to recover unpaid royalties from Chesapeake, Total, and other working interest owners. Cases settled favorably while dispositive motions were pending.
- Representation of auto part manufacturer in claims for trademark infringement and unfair competition. Obtained verdict after trial affirming validity of registered trademarks and finding willful unfair competition.
- Representation of travel technology company in arbitration against credit card issuer over termination of co-branded credit card agreement. Matter resolved favorably for client.
- Representation of global travel technology provider in defense of $1 billion antitrust suits brought by American Airlines in the Northern District of Texas and Tarrant County courts. Cases settled during second week of trial.
- Representation of Wells Fargo as trustee of insurance trusts in claims against life insurers arising from the insurers’ attempts to invalidate millions of dollars of life insurance by asserting that the policies constitute unenforceable stranger-owned life insurance. Obtained a judgment for clients enforcing policies and recovering attorneys’ fees.
- Representation of owner of auto dealerships in claims against bank for breach of contract related to interest rate swap transaction marketed by the bank.
- Representation of international software company in breach of contract suit against Dell Computer and in defense of claims for indemnity related to patent infringement. Case settled favorably after obtaining a ruling in our client’s favor on Dell’s motion to dismiss.
- Representation of landlord of industrial property in claim against tenant for environmental contamination. Case was resolved favorably before trial.
- Defended Fortune 500 internet company in trademark infringement filed by American Airlines in the Northern District of Texas. Case settled while dispositive motions were pending.
- Representation of leading cable technology manufacturer in patent and unfair trade practices disputes with competitor. Case settled favorably for client before trial.
- Representation of global clothing manufacturer in suit to recover insurance proceeds arising from an environmental damages claim. Case settled favorably before trial.
- Representation Fortune 50 company in securities class action related to acquisition of a national railroad.
- Representation of a Texas river authority in disputes related to construction of multi- million-dollar waste-water treatment projects.
- Representation of leading global provider of wet infrastructure business analytics software in dispute over software purchase agreement.
- Representation of natural gas and oil exploration company in a dispute over construction of a natural gas processing facility.
- Representation of electric transmission and distribution company in condemnation proceedings related to installation of transmission lines delivering wind-generated electricity from west Texas to the more populated central and south-east areas of the state.
- Texas, 2005
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation, Director 2016-
- Tarrant County Volunteer Attorney Services (TVAS) Committee, Co-Chair, 2014-2015
- Intellectual Property Law Section of the Tarrant County Bar Association, Chair, 2013-2014
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court, Barrister
- Tarrant County Federalist Society
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association, Director
- Board Member, Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners, 2013–
- Executive Council of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Examiners, 2015–
- Arts Council of Fort Worth & Tarrant County Grants Review Panel, 2013–2015
- Leading Edge – Leadership Fort Worth class of 2013
- Martindale Hubbell “AV” Preeminent Rating
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters rating service, 2013-2016
- Selected as a “Top Attorney” in Civil Litigation by Fort Worth, Texas magazine, 2011-2015
- Fort Worth Business Press “40 Under 40” Honoree, 2016